January 2018 is approaching! Excited enough to plan a holiday? January is when one part of the world celebrates a white winter while other parts are all about sun, sea and sand. Winter destinations have an awe about them that brings into mind snow, lights and loads of great food. We have here a mix of the snowy and the sunny parts of the world that make great places to visit in January.
It’s going to be a tough job choosing from these, but that’s what we’ll help you with. Click here!
#1 Capetown, South Africa
Capetown is one place which gives off an exciting vibe that makes visitors want to stay there forever because it has that much to offer. From getting tanned like the gods on its pristine beaches, to visiting a number of museums, going on a wine tour, or shop at a funky street market – This city has a very hip and fun vibe.
- Catch a cable car or trek your way up the Table Mountains
- Try out South Africa’s indigenous coffee brands and maybe take some home too
- Waddle into the Penguin Colony at Boulder’s Beach Home
- Indulge in the country’s unique cuisine. The tasty Bobotie and Pap are not to be missed!
- Dive in with the famed white sharks for an enthralling experience!
Festivals and Events: Cape Minstrel Carnival, Sun Met Horse Race 2018 Edition
Average Temperature: The month of January is usually reasonably warm with a temperature of 23 degrees C.
- Must read: 10 incredible things to do in South Africa
#2 Galle, Sri Lanka
Galle is a unique place in Sri Lanka, certainly one-of-a-kind. Once the headquarters of the Dutch, this place is home to some of the finest colonial architecture in the world. A UNESCO World Heritage Site, the city scores its points by beautifully balancing the modernity it has embraced, and the traditionality which it boasts. It is really lovely how it is an Asian city, yet it gives out classy European vibes. The city is a beautiful blend of religions, cultures and traditions. It also has an amazing coastline, from where one can view what is probably the most beautiful sunset in the world!
- Visit the historic Galle Fort
- Catch the beautiful sunset from the Flag Rock
- Spot wonderful Dutch-influenced architecture throughout the town
Festivals and Events: Galle Literary Festival
Average Temperature: A tropical place, it is usually warm throughout the year. January is Galle’s coldest month with temperatures ranging from 26-27 degree C.
#3 Marrakesh, Morocco
Marrakesh is a city which is the perfect mix of Moroccan and International culture. It promises to be the most eclectic city on your trip to Morocco. The hurried pace of the city and its people is what makes it the city it is. The real fun is in the shopping, listening to local storytellers, and watching magicians and snake charmers in the city square. It’s probably hectic but is truly fascinating to watch the people, and also the diversity of the country.
- Walk through the Jardin Majorelle, which houses a collection of exotic plants and trees from throughout the world.
- Explore the Djema el-Fna, the city’s main square and popular outdoor theatre
- Visit the beautiful Bahia Palace
Average Temperature: The average temperature on any given day in January ranges from around 13 degrees C.
#4 Lapland, Finland
The Finnish Lapland is one of those places that you have to visit before you die. Finland by itself is stunning – home to breathtaking mountains, waterfalls and bays. In the area known as Lapland, you can find Santa Claus and see reindeer! It is also one of the best places in the world to witness the Northern Lights in the winter.
- Visit the Oulanka National Park and ‘get lost’ in the snow
- Try your hand at hiking or riding a snowmobile at the Pakasaivo Lake, nicknamed ‘The Hell of Lapland”
- Visit Rovaniemi, the hometown of Santa Claus!
- Visit the quaint town of Ivalo to snuggle inside igloos with glass ceilings to catch the best glimpse of the Northern Lights in the world!
Festivals and Events: Lahti Winter Carnival for Children
Average Temperature: The average temperature is around -9 degrees C throughout January
Must read: Lakeland or Lapland? Finland Unpackaged
#5 Rajasthan, India
Not the typical winter destination, Rajasthan is a true state of contrasts. With golden sand deserts to holy water bodies, one thing that is hard to grasp for everyone about Rajasthan is the sheer size of the place. Explore the ‘Land of the Kings’ in all its grandeur and magnificence.
- Visit the Amber Fort in Jaipur, which is a perfect blend of Persian and ancient Hindu architecture.
- Indulge in the Pushkar fair, the Festival of Camels
- Go on a desert safari from Jaisalmer
- Explore the wild side at Ranthambore National Park
Festivals and Events: Desert Festival Jaisalmer, Bikaner Camel Festival
Average Temperature: The temperature usually ranges from 17-24 degree C.
- Must Read: Top things to do on a Dubai vacation
#6 Lima, Peru
Peru is one of the most popular countries in South America. Most people come here to hike the Inca trail and see the lost city of Machu Picchu and ignore everything else. Learn about the local culture, try the cocoa tea, and practice your Spanish. Peru on a whole is an awesome winter destination and very inexpensive, so it is the best getaway for the budget travellers!
- Click the perfect picture to upload on Instagram from Lima’s famous Plaza Mayor
- Head out to some cool Afro-Peruvian clubs and dance the night away!
- Explore the dense Amazonian forests,
- Head to the beautiful lake of Titicaca
Festivals and Events: Adoración de Reyes Magos (Adoration of the Magi), Foundation Day of Lima
Average Temperature: January is slightly colder, with temperature ranging from 23-24 degree C.
- Must read: 10 compelling reasons to visit South America
#7 Interlaken, Switzerland
One of Switzerland’s most secluded areas, this place is for the adventure junkies. Interlaken is a really great place for mountain sports. The beautiful scenery and an excellent nightlife make it a popular backpacker destination during the winter time. In winter, expect foggy roads, snow-capped mountains, and lots of fondue cafes.
- Visit the beautiful Giessbach Waterfalls
- Ride a rented bicycle around Lake Brienz
- Go snow sledging!
- Ride on the Jungfrau mountain railway
Festivals and Events: Grindelwald World Snow Festival, International Balloon Festival
Average Temperature: Interlaken is at its coldest in January, with a freezing temperature of -1 degree C!
#8 Boracay Islands, Philippines
Boracay is one of the most beautiful islands on planet Earth. Increasing numbers of visitors are flocking in to discover what the fuss for this place is all about. And it is genuinely because Boracay Island combines a budget trip, excellent beaches, and a laid-back atmosphere that is far more pleasant than any of the other islands – all in one.
- Explore the White Beach!
- Go for some exciting Scuba Diving
- Relax and Rejuvenate at one of its famous Mandala Spas
Festivals and Events: Ati-Atihan Festival, Boracay International Funboard Cup
Average Temperature: The temperature at Boracay remains a pleasant 26 degrees C throughout the month.
#9 Montego Bay, Jamaica
While all of the Caribbean islands will be pricey and almost jam-packed for the first week of January, Montego Bay still remains priced very reasonably for the rest of the month until April. The weather in this time of year is near-to-perfect, which makes it an amazing winter destination to travel to. There are also plenty of water sports and other exciting activities to keep you entertained throughout the day.
- Visit the Doctor’s Cave Beach, Montego Bay’s most popular beaches. The water is said to have healing powers, and spending a day here will make you feel refreshed and renewed
- Go rafting on the Martha Brae river, one of the best places to raft in the world
- Visit the Glistening Waters luminous lagoon at night. The waters are home to millions of bioluminescent microorganisms which is the reason for the magical blue glow.
Festivals and Events: St.Accompong Maroon Festival, Air Jamaica Jazz and Blues Festival
Average Temperature: The weather in January is pleasant and cool, with an average temperature of 22 degrees C.
- Must read: Top 8 tropical island vacation destinations
#10 Bruges, Belgium
If beaches, cocktails and the sun aren’t your things; then go for the snow, fries and beer. Yes, we’re talking about one of the most raved about winter holiday destinations in the world – Bruges.Filled with medieval buildings, canals, and cobbled streets, it is one of the most popular cities in Europe.
- Take a boat trip down the famous canals of Bruges. This is the perfect way to see around the city, with the boat taking you through secret gardens and unique, medieval buildings.
- Get a taste of the world-famous Belgian chocolate
- Visit the bustling Grote Market in the city square. During winter, it is transformed into a beautiful Christmas Market, with its own ice-skating rink!
- Visit the De Halve Maan Beer Brewery for a guided tour through it, and also for a chance to sample their famous beer at the end.
Festivals and Events: Anima International Film Festival, French Carnival in the cities of Binche and Stavelot.
Average Temperature: January is the coldest month in Bruges, with a freezing temperature of 4 degrees C.
Having a tough time selecting your holiday destination from the list? Fear not, because you can choose from a wide range of destinations here!
Check out our exciting itineraries!