Christmas is almost here and if you haven’t figured out how to revel in the true magic of the holiday season, then here is what you can do – ride on the Polar Express.
Immensely popular, the Polar Express returns to Portland, USA this year for yet another amazing season. And most importantly, The Polar Express is celebrating its tenth-year anniversary. So, get ready for a whole new level of fun.
The journey starts from the Ocean Gateway visitors centre in Portland which also acts as the train depot for the event and runs along the Casco Bay on the Eastern Promenade to the North Pole. As you board the train you will be greeted by the conductor, who will also pose for a photo or a two if you are cute enough (just kidding, you are already cute).
Interesting read: 9 Spectacular Train Rides In Europe
Thanks to the christmas’y decorations within the cabin, you will feel the vibe of the holiday season getting on to you immediately after you board the train. But that is just the beginning, you have plenty more waiting for you inside the express.
Relish the taste of hot chocolate and cookies served by the chefs as you lose yourselves to the enchanting polar express stories, recited by the volunteers.
If you are a first class passenger, then you get to keep the ceramic cup that comes with the hot chocolate.
When you reach the North Pole, comes the most amazing part of the journey. Santa hops on the train and greets every one of you while making sure every child receives a bell. As the train hurries back to the station, lead your voice to a soulful Christmas carol. The whole express then lights up with joy.
Ah, just talking about it puts me in the holiday spirit.
If this is something that you would be interested in, then book your tickets from PortTix website.
A part of the Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Company, a non-profit organization, all the proceedings from the Polar Express goes to educate the public and preserve the historic equipment related to the two-foot gauge railways in the region. The ticket prices are $29 for coach seating and $45 for first class seating.
Important things to know about the Polar Express
- While the whole journey (1.5 miles) lasts for only about 45 mins, make sure you allocate more than an hours time.
- First class cars carry only a limited seating, so book soon to get a spot.
- There is a Polar Express official store from where you can get your Merchandise.
- Though all the train cars are heated with the steam locomotive, make sure to dress warm and weather appropriate. Pyjamas are recommended for children and removable layers are recommended in general.
- Arrive at least 15 mins prior to the boarding time. Polar Express leaves right on time.
- Polar Express is wheelchair accessible but strollers are not allowed.
- Polar Express doesn’t permit dogs or any other pets inside the carriage except for service animals.
Interesting read: The complete guide to the Trans-Siberian Railway
Interested in planning a trip to your favourite destination this Christmas? Go Pickyourtrail.