Searching for respite from the constant heat at your place and deciding where to go in April? Forget that A.C you are getting fixed. In fact, all you need is a good ol’ vacation to cool you down – literally. Here are places to visit in April that will be the end of all your summer woes and catalyst to some unforgettable vacations.
Another catalyst to better-than-perfect vacations → Pickyourtrail.
In China, the history and its landscapes come off as interchangeable metaphors – both vivid, changing, and with blurring borders. And, most definitely, breathtaking. Sample its sapphire lakes, deserts of inner Mongolia, karst pinnacles of Yángshuò or the beautiful rice terraces of the south. From mountain villages to Buddhist grottoes to water towns to desert forts dating back a couple centuries, each is a story worth listening to.
Sample this story our traveller Aparajitha lived.
Things to do:
- For the best views of Shanghai’s landscape, head over the Lounge Bar in Park Hyatt Hotel.
- Take a cruise down the Li river and explore nature unboundless here.
- Grab coveted views of the Forbidden City from atop the Jingshan Park.
- Meet the adorable pandas at the Giant Panda Breeding Research Base in the Chengdu city.
- Visit the Temple of Heaven, dating back to the 15th century.
Temperature: Hovering at an average of 17°C, it is time for pleasant weather here.
Enter the land of Pharaohs, Pyramids, desert and a history of a civilization that continues to capture the imagination of every person who comes here. The desert terrains of this transcontinental country, bordered by the Mediterranean and Red sea, gets respite from the longest river in the world – Nile. Grab your Egypt vacation for a history lesson on temples, hieroglyphs, mummies and a peek into the Egyptian civilization.
If history isn’t your cup of tea, don’t worry, here are other fun things to do in Egypt.
Things to do:
- Rent a felucca and cruise down the Nile river.
- Explore the hidden, underground passages of Hanging Church & Ben Ezra Synagogue.
- Visit the mysterious Temple of Isis.
- Take in the spectacular view of Abu Simbel Temple, lit by several hundred lamps in the evening.
- Watch the Sun rise in all its glory while your ride on the hot air balloon at Luxor.
Temperature: With an average temperature hovering anywhere between 18.4°C and 29.6°C, Egypt is a great place to visit in April if you like sun-kissed weather and balmy temperatures.
In one of the world’s oldest countries, view a landscape of contrasts – from mountain hiking tracks rising above the clouds at 3000 m elevation to Africa’s lowest point – the Danakil Depression. Open your senses to a world of deep canyons, dramatic deserts, highlands and a culture so vivid, varying, and intact all at once. In what is believed to be the cradle of mankind, lose and find yourself like never before.
Things to do:
- Meet one of the oldest inhabitants of the country and the continent in the Oma valley.
- Partake in the traditional coffee drinking ceremony of Ethiopia.
- Spot the Simien wolf – one of the rarest in the world, whilst at the Bale Mountain National Park.
- Trek through the beautiful Simien Mountains National Park and savour the yellow carpet of meskel daisy flowers.
Temperature: With an average temperature of 25°C, April marks the onset of rainy season.
The world’s fourth largest island, Madagascar is a burst of nature and culture waiting to take your breath away. In fact, 5% of the flora and fauna here is endemic to Madagascar. This apart, there is no dearth to the number of idyllic landscapes – from sandstone canyons and mountains to limestone karsts and rice paddies. There’s a breathtaking landscape at every corner, making it one of the most scenic places to visit in April.
Although, be warned, the exclusivity comes at a high cost.
Things to do:
- Explore the palaces and cathedrals in the Old Town area of Madagascar’s capital, Antananarivo.
- Settle down for the perfect afternoon on one of Nosy Be’s picturesque beaches.
- Canoe down the Tsiribihina River to enjoy a peaceful day in Madagascar.
- Get a closer look at the baobab trees while taking a walk down the Avenue of the Baobabs.
- Tour the Isalo National Park to witness some of the most stunning scenes Madagascar has to offer – from riparian forests to open grasslands. Grab a camera and explore this Jurassic Park.
Temperature: With an average temperature of 20°C, April marks the calm after months of heavy rains and cyclones. Expect bright sunny days and lots of wildlife spotting.
Spain has above all acquired the trait of being exotic, and rightfully so. Beyond the plane of fiery language, beautiful dancers, red capes, victimised bulls and the promise of fiery food, Spain has much more in store. Peek behind the veil of flamenco dancers and explore the legacy of incomplete revolutionary architecture. The country’s got cobblestone streets to walk on, and more than its fair share of postcard beaches.
The group of friends from Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara found serendipity here. Well, so will you.
Things to do:
- Wander the winding streets and spend some time taking in the medieval architecture of the charming town of Girona.
- Settle on the soft beach sand of Costa Brava.
- Stride along the La Rambla street. Keep your eyes on your valuables though!
- Observe and take in the majestic but incomplete works of Antoni Gaudi at Barcelona.
- Stroll through Peutra de Sol or 0 km while in Madrid – a place from where all roads in Spain start.
Temperature: With an average temperature of 17°C, the days ahead only promise to get warmer. The further into April you go, the more the opportunity to go out sunbathing.
Lining the tip of the African continent, South Africa is a story of what summoning the best forests, beaches, culture and people looks like. Its more than just the Safari opportunities to come face-to face with the Big 5. It’s an adrenaline overload – jumping from atop coal power stations, skydiving through the clouds, watching a table cloth from atop Cape Town’s mountain.
There’s magic, life and a history worth knowing in South Africa. Experience this magic.
Things to do:
- Catch the diversity of South African wildlife from atop your horse.
- Zipline across the wet, wild and dramatic canopy of Tsitsikamma National Park.
- Take the scenic drive across the Garden Route from the Western to the Eastern Cape.
- Hike the slope of Table Mountain to witness the incomparable view of Cape Town.
- Visit the spectacular Cango Caves. If a walk doesn’t do it for you, take the adventurous version that has crawling through narrow passageway openings.
- Taste some of the fine South African wines while in the Stellenbosch region. Grab a cycle to hit off as many wineries in the region as possible.
Temperature: With an average temperature of 18°C, South Africa in April offers a temperate climate and warm, dry weather.
Bordered by the beautiful Cambodia & Laos, you’d think nothing about Vietnam stands out. You thought wrong. Like every other country in the region, Vietnam promises a fine blend of natural landscapes, brilliant culture and a promise of a getaway. And true to its promise, it won’t take you too long to lose yourself among the rice paddies of Sapa, or kayak yourself to the middle of nowhere at Halong Bay or go on a crazy tasting spree at one of Vietnam’s street food stalls.
Things to do:
- Visit the ancient town of Hoi An and admire the old-age charm of buildings that rise by the riverside.
- Kayak down the Saigon river.
- For some water fun, try tubing down a river in Vietnam.
- Haggle over the produce on display at the Hoi An Night Market.
- Explore the pagoda temples and monasteries of the Marble Mountains in Da Nang.
Temperature: With an average temperature of 27°C, April marks the last month of winter. Expect clear skies, and a pleasant, dry weather throughout Vietnam.
Read more: Essential guide to Vietnam
Got a destination on your mind? Don’t wait. Start planning now!